Types of Transportation Available to Campus
The Nashville International Airport is 90 miles from campus. The Chattanooga Metropolitan Airport is 50 miles from campus. Rental cars are available at these airports, and shuttle service is available from the airports for students traveling alone. Contact the Office of Admission for details. The University has its own airport in Sewanee, a mile and a half from campus. The 3,500-foot runway is available to private planes; call 913-598-1910 for further information. The University can provide a car at the Sewanee airport for visitor use. Greyhound bus lines serve Monteagle, which is 4 miles from Sewanee. If you notify the admissions office well in advance, it will provide transportation to and from the bus station.
Driving Instructions to Campus
From I-24 (between Nashville and Chattanooga), take Exit 134 (Monteagle) to Hwy. 41N. After approximately 4 miles, pass through the stone columns and turn right onto University Ave. The admission office is approximately 1 mile down University Ave. on the right, across from the main quadrangle and All Saints' Chapel. If you are traveling south on Hwy. 41, Sewanee is 6 miles east of Cowan. At the top of the mountain, turn left onto University Ave. at the small group of shops. Proceed up the hill to the heart of campus. The admissions office is on the left side of the street across from the main quadrangle and All Saints Chapel.
For on-campus convenience, character, and fun, the Sewanee Inn (931-598-1686) has it all. Built from mountain stone with cathedral ceilings, the rooms include a continental breakfast. Alternatives include the Best Western Smoke House (Monteagle; 913-924-2091), a motel with cabins in the back and an outdoor pool; the Monteagle Inn (931-924-3869); or the Edgeworth Inn (931-924-2669), just seven miles from the university. The inn's moderate price includes a full southern breakfast with biscuits. It's fun to explore the 96 acres of this Victorian village. The inn is also great for hiking and biking. The Assembly grounds are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.