Find Your Voice. West Virginia Wesleyan is a private four-year co-educational residential college that is affiliated with The United Methodist Church. West Virginia Wesleyan creates a unique learning environment enabling our students to develop the skills, values, relationships, and perspective needed for them to obtain employment, enhance their careers, and demonstrate leadership throughout their lives. Wesleyan graduates are well prepared to be successful and respected citizens in a rapidly changing world.
Over 80 percent of Wesleyan's faculty hold the highest degree in their respective teaching field and the student faculty ratio is 14:1. The curriculum foundation begins with a general studies liberal arts program where students complete one-third of their course of study. The College offers over 40 majors and over 40 minors of study, and several additional Master's programs spanning Athletic Training, Business Administration, Education, English (Creative Writing), and Nursing.
West Virginia Wesleyan is accredited by the Commission on Institutions of Higher Education of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, and approved by the University Senate of The United Methodist Church. It is a member of the National Association of Schools of Music and is approved by the West Virginia Department of Education and the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education. The College participates in the Interstate Certification Project whereby a number of states certify teachers graduating from Wesleyan's Department of Education. The athletic training program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs. Degree programs offered in business and economics, including the Master of Business Administration program, are accredited by the International Assembly for Collegiate Business Education.
All academic programs either require or strongly encourage the completion of an internship experience. Wesleyan's academic calendar is 4-4-1 that includes an optional May Term in which over 50 students pursue study abroad courses or intensive study curricular offerings. The Advising and Career Center assists students with course scheduling, academic advising, internships and study abroad, resume writing, job searches, and graduate and professional school placement. The Learning Center provides tutoring services as well as comprehensive services for students with diagnosed learning disabilities.
Of the more than 1,480 undergraduate students, 53 percent are from West Virginia, while the other 47 percent originate from 39 states and 19 countries. 16 percent of Wesleyan's American students are minority students. Over 90 percent of Wesleyan's students live on-campus and the College guarantees four years of on-campus housing for all undergraduate students. Housing options include double and single rooms, suites, and apartments. Campus dining is provided and prepared by a contracted professional catering service.
The Jeanne Clery Act requires colleges and universities to disclose their security policies, keep a public crime log, publish an annual crime report and provide timely warnings to students and campus employees about a crime posing an immediate or ongoing threat to students and campus employees.
Please visit The Princeton Review’s page on campus safety for additional resources: http://www.princetonreview.com/safety
The Princeton Review publishes links directly to each school's Campus Security Reports where available. Applicants can also access all school-specific campus safety information using the Campus Safety and Security Data Analysis Cutting Tool provided by the Office of Postsecondary Education of the U.S. Department of Education: http://ope.ed.gov/security