Eligible non–citizens meet ONE of the following criteria:

  • You are a U.S. permanent resident with an Alien Registration Card (I–551)
  • You are a conditional permanent resident with an I–551C card
  • You have an Arrival Departure Record (I–94) from the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) with any of the following designations:
    • refugee
    • asylum granted
    • parole
    • Cuban-Haitian entrant

If you have only a Notice of Approval to Apply for Permanent Residence (I–171 or I–464), you aren't eligible for federal student aid.

If you're in the United States on certain visas, including an F1 or F2 student visa, or a J1 or J2 exchange visitor visa, you're not eligible for federal student aid. Also, persons with G series visas (pertaining to international organizations) are not eligible. For more information about other types of visas that are not acceptable, check with your school's financial aid office.