When you visit a campus on a college visit, be sure to ask about that school's environmental policies. Many colleges are improving their green practices and offering more sustainability-related classes, majors, and student organizations. Here are some questions you can ask potential schools to learn if they're on an environmentally friendly track.
Quality of Life
- How much of your food is fresh, local and organic?
- Have your dorms and classrooms been retrofitted to be more energy efficient?
- What does the school do to make it easy for students to get around without a car?
- Do you use pesticides and herbicides on campus grounds?
- Are the cleaning products used by the janitorial crews Green Seal certified?
Academics and Career
- Have professors been trained on how to integrate green concepts into their coursework?
- What opportunities do you have for me to get involved in university decisions affecting my quality of life?
- What research opportunities do you offer for undergraduates in areas associated with the green economy?
- How are you preparing students for the green economy?
- Has this university signed the American College and University Presidents Climate Commitment on carbon neutrality?
- Does the university require that new buildings meet green building standards?
- How do I find out what the university is doing to make itself greener?